I second this request, as a mobile developer since_id is essential for
caching old tweets and only retreiving new tweets.

since_id is invaluable.  You say " in most cases the new approach we
will take will not result in any noticeable differences " does that
mean you will still handle a since_id being passed and if not how will
we now use the API?