Thank you for the feedback.  It's great to hear about the variety of use
cases people have for the API, and in particular all the different ways
people are using IDs. To alleviate some of the concerns raised in this
thread we thought it would be useful to give more details about how we plan
to generate IDs

1) IDs are still 64-bit integers.  This should minimize any migration pains.
2) You can still sort on ID.  Within a few millieconds you may get out of
order results, but for most use cases this shouldn't be an issue.
3) since_id will still work (within the caveats given above).
4) We will provide a way to backfill from the streaming API.
5) You cannot use the generated ID to reverse engineer tweet velocity.  Note
that you can still use the streaming API to determine the rate of public
statuses.

Additional items of interest
1) At some point we will likely start using this as an ID for direct
messages too
2) We will almost certainly open source the ID generation code, probably
before we actually cut over to using it.
3) We STRONGLY suggest that you treat IDs as roughly sorted (roughly being
within a few ms buckets), opaque 64-bit integers.  We may need to change the
scheme again at some point in the future, and want to minimize migration
pains should we need to do this.

Hopefully this puts you more at ease with the changes we're making.  If it
raises new concerns, please let us know!

  ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv