On 04/10/2010 06:29 AM, Lakshman Prasad wrote:
> Facebook acquired Friendfeed and open sourced it.
>
> Google acquired Etherpad and open sourced it.

IIRC Etherpad *was* open source from the start. Google bought the
company and put its developers to work on Wave, a pale "competitor" of
Etherpad. Etherpad development was "discontinued", I think. In any
event, it was a strategic business move.

> I'm wondering, if, on the same lines, twitter will open source Tweetie for
> Mac, and iPhone and the impending Tweetie for iPad.

They might, but releasing a previously closed-source application as open
source requires *significant* effort, both technical and legal. It took
Sun a long time to do it with Java - I'm not even sure it was fully
complete when Oracle bought them. Tweetie's not as big as Java and
Atebits is not as big as Sun, but even so, there are *costs* and it
wouldn't necessarily add revenue, especially since the iPhone version is
now free.

Of course, it's a lot harder to turn an open source project into a
closed one. ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net/about-smartznmeb/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős