On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:44, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zn...@comcast.net>wrote:

> On 04/10/2010 06:29 AM, Lakshman Prasad wrote:
> > Facebook acquired Friendfeed and open sourced it.
> >
> > Google acquired Etherpad and open sourced it.
>
> IIRC Etherpad *was* open source from the start. Google bought the
> company and put its developers to work on Wave, a pale "competitor" of
> Etherpad. Etherpad development was "discontinued", I think. In any
> event, it was a strategic business move.

No it was not:
http://etherpad.com/ep/blog/posts/etherpad-back-online-until-open-sourced

> > I'm wondering, if, on the same lines, twitter will open source Tweetie
> for
> > Mac, and iPhone and the impending Tweetie for iPad.
>
> They might, but releasing a previously closed-source application as open
> source requires *significant* effort, both technical and legal. It took
> Sun a long time to do it with Java - I'm not even sure it was fully
> complete when Oracle bought them. Tweetie's not as big as Java and
> Atebits is not as big as Sun, but even so, there are *costs* and it
> wouldn't necessarily add revenue, especially since the iPhone version is
> now free.

So Twitter spends a small amount of money making Tweetie for Mac open source
and reap the benefits of the entire developer community being able to
develop feature and patch bugs.

--
Abraham Williams | Developer for hire | http://abrah.am
PoseurTech Labs | Projects | http://labs.poseurtech.com