Eric, I disagree.  This just means they've put us on notice that if our apps
completely revolve around Twitter we risk going into competition with them.
 I don't think there's anything wrong with that, although it is frustrating,
I agree (this is nothing new - they've been doing this for the last 3
years).  The way to succeed on the Twitter platform is to build apps that
don't rely on Twitter, but instead use Twitter as a complement to their own
ecosystem.  Your app should be its own platform, relying on other platforms
to complement it, not the other way around.  I think that's what Twitter is
trying to iterate here, and we see that with the coming advent of @anywhere.
 I love that they're finally being clear on this, as frustrating as it is
for those it affects directly (although the writing's been on the wall for
awhile now - I certainly have complained many times about this).

Jesse