I agree with the "obscure" comment.

For better or worse, I am trying to design a solution for a semi-
public machine, so multiple users may be using the same application
installation, and each user has their own registry settings. (The
other registry settings are innocuous, but I am trying to trade off
user convenience with user security.)

If I understand it correctly, the token secret is tied to a user-
external-application tuple. If so, then just having the token secret
would only allow a malicious 3rd-party to post a Twitter status using
the authorized application. Since we require the use authenticate to
Twitter at the start of each application session, I was hoping that
this would mitigate the risk of storing the token secret I the
registry. (Of course, I am also expecting the user of a semi-public
machine to close the application when they are finished…)

Further thoughts?