Some of you talk about an "app" as if it were a person.  Sure, apps
could be malicious, but that includes every app on your computer -
doesn't it?  Why should you assume some of the apps handling your
credentials can be more trustworthy than others?  Any app that is on
your computer while you type your username/password can potentially
obtain that information.  And what about the app at the far end of the
Internet that may be "pretending" to be Twitter's authorization page?
Frankly, I think the whole argument about "malicious apps" is a little
over the top for an OAuth discussion.

Why would you believe that "basic auth developers are required to
store passwords in plain-text..."?  I'm a basic auth developer, and I
have always stored username/passwords encrypted in a access protected
keychain file.  I do not know of a single developer of any platform
that would be so irresponsible as to store username/passwords in plain
text - well until now.  :)

Twitter's only interest in OAuth (like any other platform provider) is
to control access to their platform at an application level, and to
allow other platform providers access to their users' data.  This
altruistic nonsense about Twitter being more interested in your
personal password protection than your bank, your online stock trading
company, or the IRS, is just that - nonsense.

There's nothing wrong with Twitter's decision to implement OAuth.  I
makes perfect sense.  I'd do it, if I were in their shoes.  Why are so
many of you rushing to their defense with these manufactured
alternative reasons for why they are implementing it?