If you are going to build a search engine, you'll need all of the
Tweets to search over them. For this, you'll want to take the Firehose
of all public statuses.

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Streaming-API-Documentation

You'll need a commercial data license to do this. Email api to get started.

GAE currently does not allow standing connections to the Streaming
API. Also, you'll need considerably more resources than GAE to build a
search engine. You'll need dozens of cores and hundreds of spindles
just to get started.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.