sorry - let me try to clarify, and if this is not clear on dev.twitter.com,
please let us know so we can update the docs.

"native" applications (desktop and mobile) can have permanent access to
xAuth.  web applications cannot.  web applications can be granted temporary
(approximately 7 days) access so that you can "bulk convert" your users from
basic auth over to oauth.

does that help?

--
Raffi Krikorian