Rate limits and limits on particular actions are different. We could do
better in providing a X-FeatureRateLimit header on tweets and DMs and the
such that have their own issuance limit -- but I can imagine potential
performance issues with that.

Rate limits provide a ceiling on the amount of API calls you can make. Their
main purpose is to keep the entire platform running smoothly and to not
allow any one application to spoil the resource pool for its peers.

Twitter, aside from the API itself, has limits on how many status updates
and DMs can be sent -- the API just respects the rules of Twitter here. If
you're concerned you might be hitting the upper limit, for now the best
thing to do would be to implement a counter in your application and queue
updates when your counter is full.

A user may issue 1000 tweets per day and 250 DMs.

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod