To my knowledge (and I might be wrong, but this is what I understand to be
true):

  - there is a limit of 250 DMs per day for a user account, blanketly
applied. Whitelisting for an application has no effect on this limit. This
isn't an API limit. It's a limit for a Twitter user. A twitter user could
contribute to their allocation by using the website or an API client.

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod