Results from the Search API should be delayed only by a few seconds
during normal operations. If there's some operational issue, search
can get behind, but this should be fairly rare.

The lowest latency API is the Streaming API. Results are often
available here before they are published onto timelines, and generally
before Search. But, we're talking by hundreds of milliseconds or low
seconds. This shouldn't matter for most applications.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Twitter, Inc.