Our site has been running @anywhere for over a week now without error.
Yesterday my coworker was getting the alert(). He is running an older
version of Firefox (3.0.8) on Ubuntu, so there might be another cause
other than missing clientID or version?

I still believe alert() is intrusive, especially for this case where
it works fine except for this edge case. Instead of users complaining
about broken hovercards, they are complaining about alert dialogs.

Larry