Hi, thanks to you both. I've removed the source parameter.

There is something wrong with my signature base indeed. Here's what I
am sending for a status update...

POST&http%3A%2F%2Fapi.twitter.com%2F1%2Fstatuses%2Fupdate.xml&%3Fstatus
%3Dtest%26oauth_consumer_key%3Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%26oauth_nonce
%3DE9X6lVKiDkQ1n%26oauth_signature_method%3DHMAC-SHA1%26oauth_timestamp
%3D1275946125%26oauth_token%3Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
%26oauth_version%3D1.0

As far as I can gather from this link
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/auth#auth-request,
I need to remove query parameter from the url and order them in the
string. So in this case status would appear at the end. I can't find
it now, but some poster in a group said to put the status paramter in
the url rather than the post body.  I think I must have been ordering
the signature base incorrectly previous to this.

Rhys