That query will search for "java java" places of type neighborhood or
higher granularity (including city, admin, and country).  If you want
POI (or higher), set granularity to "poi".  We do return results that
are far away.  This may be controllable in the future.

The autocomplete parameter is flag that's a hint that search is being
used for autocompletion.  It will favor results with matching
prefixes.

An "admin" place is an administrative area, such as a state or province.

David
Twitter Geo Team