The geo field is the user's (or tweet's) exact location.  The place
field, whether a POI, neighborhood, city, or admin, contains the
place's location.  Today POIs are always points, but in the future
there may be some polygons (e.g. stadiums, malls, amusement parks).
In this case the exact location would matter.

A place-annotated tweet will show up in the streaming API, even if
it doesn't have an exact location.

David
Twitter Geo Team