Could you give more information on how you would lower a specific
user's limits?

For example my client does the following, this is of course simplified

api_requests_left = 0;

loop {
  if(api_requests_left == 0) { update_request_limits();  } // hit your
server and ask my remaining limit, sleep and wait if needed
  make_request;
  -- api_requests_left;
}

I see two cases I need to figure out:
4pm.  Twitter tells me I have 100 requests left.  Request limit renews
at 5pm.
- Will you ever lower my request limit between 4 and 5pm, or can I
assume what I was told was good for a full hour?
- If I use none of my requests between 4pm and 5pm, is there a chance
my new request limit will be lowered, or will you still honor my 100
remaining requests even if at 5pm you lower your limit to 50/hour?

thanks