I sent the following to Twitter support via their web form; they
suggested I should post here instead.

-----
I currently have two automated accounts, thethirdstroke and this one
(servologyalerts).  thethirdstroke tweets every hour on the hour, and
has been working fine for a long time.  I converted it to using OAuth
a while ago, and it continued to work fine.  servologyalerts tweets
when my nagios installation detects a fault or a fault clears, and has
been having problems since I switched it from password authentication
to OAuth on 12 July.

Since that time, most attempts to tweet get the "Something is
technically wrong" response.  However, most test tweets seem to go
through without any problem, and reviewing the logs I notice that any
alert which is long enough that my script has to truncate it to 140
characters before tweeting, and therefore loses (part of) the "packet
loss = nnn%" which is often at the end of the tweet, goes through
fine.  I wonder if the problem is that my alerts are somehow
triggering spam filtering, which is then returning a "Something is
technically wrong" error message rather than actually saying it's spam
filtering.  That doesn't seem a likely explanation, though, as the
problem started precisely when I switched from basic auth to OAuth -
surely OAuth would, if anything, need to do *less* spam filtering.

Both automated accounts tweet using the same script, which uses curl
to post through a python program called oauth-proxy, which I have
altered to listen only on the loopback interface, and which is started
up just before each tweet and shut down just afterwards.  As
mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any problem with the OAuth signing
- thethirdstroke posts fine pretty much all the time, while
servologyalerts can post test messages and, occasionally, live
messages with no problems.  It also does not seem to be a problem with
OAuth signing requests containing % signs, as I've posted test
messages with % signs with no problem.

I'd be grateful if you could check any logs you have and let me know
if you can see why this problem occurs, and if you can suggest a fix.
Thanks for your help.
-----

Update: I have temporarily switched back to using basic authentication
for servologyalerts; the errors have stopped and notifications arrive
on twitter as expected.

Thanks for any light you can shed; and let me know if more information
is needed - I didn't think there was any need to copy-and-paste the
"Something is technically wrong" page's HTML here, for example.

Reply via email to