Hi Taylor,

Thanks for your analysis.  As mentioned, I'm using oauth-proxy (http://
github.com/mojodna/oauth-proxy, I think was the URL); I wrote none of
the OAuth code, so I have no idea what it may or may not be doing.  I
tried it, it seemed to work (until these problems posting nagios
notifications) so I used it.  You mentioned % characters not being
properly encoded - I did wonder whether the problem was %-related
before, but tried some test tweets containing % characters and
generally found that they posted properly.  I had a bit of a brainwave
while on the train today, though, and realised that if = signs are
being mishandled (not sure why I overlooked = before!), that would fit
the symptoms.  And indeed, it does look like that might be the problem
- I just tried substituting _ for = in a previously failed
notification, and it posted fine.

However, if oauth-proxy is indeed doing OAuth as badly as your list of
faults implies, I may have a bit of a job on my hands to figure out
what it's doing and fix it, or might try to find some other OAuth
proxy or client.  Pity, though, as oauth-proxy was about the only
thing I'd found so far which lets me send tweets relatively easily
from a shell script.  (There was a curl-alike with OAuth support whose
name I forget, which had so many dependencies (Ruby, I think) that I
eventually gave up trying to get it to work.)

It's also possible that I may be "curl"ing data into oauth-proxy
incorrectly - I will try doing %-escaping on my argument to curl's -d
option and see how that affects things.

Anyway, for now, I can replace = with _. When I have time, I can
either try staring hard at oauth-proxy to try to understand and fix
it, or look for an alternative tool.  Hmm, maybe by then, curl will
have OAuth support...

Thanks for your help,


Reply via email to