Also a reminder: the Twitter API is at the http://api.twitter.com subdomain.
Twitter API has version numbers in the URL as well.

The original poster in this thread is using
http://twitter.com/account/update_profile_image.xml when they should be
using http://api.twitter.com/1/account/update_profile_image.xml

And I'll echo what Tom has said: you should switch to using OAuth very soon
or you'll find your script doesn't work at all in about 2 weeks.

Taylor