I've got a monitor running on a whitelisted app to search and check
mentions. Up until recently it has always shown 20,000 at the rate
limit.  Today I enabled another search job and I noticed my rate limit
is 12,000 while I was debugging it. I'm rarely using more than a
couple thousand requests per hour at this time, but with new features
being planned I am curious.

Does anyone know if this was a recent change for everyone or just
something I triggered somehow?

Secondary question, do you think they prefer I hit search once every
hour and end up paging through 12 pages of results, or once per 5
minutes and rarely ever get more than one page? I guess it's the same
number of requests, but for me I'd rather just miss one update due to
downtime rather than a whole set.