I must admit, I'm a little confused on some aspects of this.

Will the new IDs continue on from the old IDs sequentally? Or will
they be completely incompatible with the old IDs?

I have a database of several million tweets that JournoTwit users use.
I don't want to have to start differentiating between two ID types and/
or having to completely clear the database out.

What I haven't seen amongst any of this documentation - is an example
of the new status ids in comparison to the old? That would probably
answer a few questions :D And I assume - Direct Messages will be
undergoing the same transformation?

Spode