I've successfully migrated one of my sites away from making search and
mention rest calls, switched over to the streaming API and I'm loving
it. I still need to move it to OAuth but now that I have that in test
I'm reading up on the User and Site streams and I have a question.

It seems the User stream states that websites should not use it, and
should use the Site stream instead, but I don't consume or care about
my user's activity, my site is centered around the messages and
interactions with the application user not the users themselves.

Right now I track and evaluate followers and other bits using the rest
calls but from what I see I could eliminate those rest calls and be
off them (possibly) all together if I could use the User stream to
accept information about new and broken friendships, favorites, dms,
etc.

Is it acceptable to use the User stream in that manor since I would
only need it for the app user account not my site user's accounts? If
so, I can just maintain the two streams (filtered streaming api and
user stream) and eliminate or cut back my rest calls dramatically?
Please let me know so I can plan accordingly.