The way that Google App Engine handles outbound connections is that many
applications share and reuse outbound IPs from a proxy pool. This makes rate
limiting much harder and determination of where abuse is sourcing from
difficult to determine.

The request timing out issue you're experiencing means that there are
(possibly) still some IPs out of GAE that are being blocked, or some of your
requests are failing.

I'll have another look through our system.

-j