Well, I thought i had this problem solved. I am using a library called
twitteroauth and it was stripping off the "&include_rts=true". I
finally figured out that include_rts needed to be placed into an
arguments array instead of being in the request URL.

So once I got the include_rts parm passed to Twitter everything was
working fine. Or at least it was in most cases. HOWEVER, I am seeing
now that certain requests are NOT returning the full count parameter
worth of records. There must be SOME filtering that the Twitter API is
doing AFTER it retrieves the count number worth of records. I have
this problem regardless of whether I use the home_timeline which is
supposed to always include everything or whether I use the
friends_timeline with the include_rts parameter.

Note that I am trying to request count = 25 records, not the default
count = 20 records. I can see that retweets are being included and I'm
still getting ust 24 records back in certain cases.