Are you on an IP address that might be shared with other users? Right now,
unauthenticated requests count against your IP addresses's rate limit.

If you could log what the X-RateLimit-* HTTP headers indicate at each step,
it'd be helpful: status of headers after making your first request, then the
second request, then the request where you end up being limited.

Thanks,
Taylor