One way to approach this problem:

For each user's tweets that you want to track -- do you want to require that
user to be an authenticated member of your site and opt-in to having you
track their tweets, likely in the context of providing a (mostly private)
Twitter client experience on the web for them? If the answer here is "yes",
then Site Streams is a fantastic choice.

However, I think you want to track the publicly created tweets of arbitrary
users, whether they are members of your site or not. In this case, Brian's
original recommendation to utilize the standard Streaming API's track /
follow facilities is best.

Like all of our APIs, it does have limitations -- only public statuses are
returned, and you can "only" track up to 5,000 users without enhanced
streaming permissions. It's best not to worry about requesting additional
access levels until you need them. There are some other limitations around
tweet velocity and relative percentages of the firehose, but the use case
you've detailed here suggests you'd likely not him them.

Taylor