I'm using the streaming API to pull in tweets at that rate for several
sites with no problem. The default access level gives you all the
tweets for up to 5,000 users.
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api_methods#statuses-filter

>From my experience, if you create a useful site for this level of
users, you can go back later with a much stronger argument for higher
access later.

If you are using PHP, I recommend Fenn Bailey's Phirehose library to
manage the connection.
http://code.google.com/p/phirehose/

If you architect your tweet collection code so that all tweets are put
into a normalized database, and the rest of the code only uses the
database and not the API, you can easily change to a new type of API
connection later. But if all you want now is tweets, the streaming API
is good for now.