Dave-tweinds,

It is mentioned in passing and buried in some documents which discuss
the full flow, but if you're relying on Twitter's own API
documentation (http://dev.twitter.com/doc/post/oauth/access_token)
you'll not see a single mention of the oauth_verifier here.  Nor will
you see oauth_callback mentioned here
http://dev.twitter.com/doc/post/oauth/request_token

I think it would be more useful to the community if Twitter did a more
complete job of describing the flow and parameters supported and
required on each of their own end points which is where most people
look first, even if they are implicitly supporting these parameters
because they comply with oauth and therefore documented elsewhere.