The Twurl console on dev.twitter.com is more dream than reality.

Have you tested this in an environment that is not our developer console?

The console version of Twurl is also very useful:
http://github.com/marcel/twurl
Apigee's console is the best web-based one available:
http://app.apigee.com/console/twitter

Taylor