Howdy,

I'm writing an iPad app that has a "Share via Twitter" feature. I'm trying to
understand how to count characters, including URLs before I post to the API. I
thought these might be FAQs, but "t.co" does not show up in the FAQ and has
only two hits via Google's search of this list, so I apologize if these are in
fact FAQs.

So I tried to post a new status message that was longer than 140 characters,
but I counted the URL as only 19 characters, per [this message][] from Raffi.
Unfortunately, the API rejected the message as too long. So my questions are:

* Should I be counting URLs as only 19 characters?

* If so, will the Twitter API be adjusted to count URLs as only 19 characters,
and not reject messages that are longer because the URLs are longer?

* And if that's the plan, when is it likely to happen?

* And should I also count URLs that are less than 19 characters as 19
characters, on the assumption that they will *always* be wrapped?

Ah, I just did a search for "link wrap" and say [this thread][] from September.
Doesn't look like there was an official answer from Twitter -- did I miss it?
If not, does anyone have any idea when there might be more information on this
stuff and how it will affect the API?

Thanks,

David

[this message]: