On Dec 18, 2010, at 5:17 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

>> Currently the API does not shorten the links for you yet. In the future
>> Twitter may implement this, but currently you will have to shorten the links
>> yourself, via (for example) bit.ly.
>
> That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

It appears that Twitter 2 for the Mac somehow does what I was describing. Try
typing or pasting a URL into it; it stops counting characters once it
recognizes it as a URL. You can also send tweets that are over 140 characters
due to a long URL; it does the shortening using t.co. How does it do it? Is
there an API for that?

I'm doing the same thing in my app, but using s.coop. would be nice just to be
able to send stuff to the API an let it do the shortening. I don't suppose
that's how it works…

Any ideas?

Best,

David