We've been having problems recently with going over our rate limit
when making API calls. We do a lot of server side caching of the
our limit. I setup our application to record the headers we receive
each time we make an API call, and found something interesting with X-
RateLimit-Remaining:

When we make our first API call in a while a little before midnight,
we get a new rate limit remaining and new expiration time. But as soon
as we make a call to the API after midnight, our rate limit goes to 0,
so we have to wait till the expiration time to start making calls
again.

Yesterday at 11:50 PM CST we made the first call to the API after our
expiration time passed. Our X-RateLimit-Remaining was 149 out of 150
because that call used one of our allotted 150 per hour. The next call
we made to the API was this morning at 12:10 AM CST, but our X-
RateLimit-Remaining was 0. It's entirely possible that I didn't add
the header tracking to another place we do API calls, but I doubt we'd
have that much traffic at that time of the day to use 149 calls in 20
minutes.

For the past few weeks I had it set to email me when the API returns a
400 Bad Request header. I've gotten one on the 11th at 12:17, the 10th
at 12:37, the 8th at 12:22, and the 6th at 12:23 AM CST. (Google
crawls our site around midnight our time, and our server side caches
have expired by that time, which is the origin of most of the
requests.)

I found something interesting while looking through our logs for the
12th. We made an API call on the 11th at 11:35 PM, which used our
146th call per hour. The expiration time for that hour was the 12th at
12:04 AM. The next call we made was on the 12th at 12:35 AM, after our
expiration date. Our rate limit remaining was back at 149 out of 150
with an expiration at 1:35 AM as expected.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar, or am I
just missing something entirely. I can provide the headers in full if
necessary..

Thanks,

-Zach