Hi David,

We use the lat/lon sent to us when the Tweet is created. How that lat/lon is
retrieved depends on the device being used to send the Tweet. The content of
the Tweet is not used to populate the lat/lon coordinates.

A couple of reasons for why it could be reported like this:
* The user is travelling to the location they Tweeted about
* The device being used has the wrong GPS co-ordinates. (When I visited New
York my iPhone struggled to get an accurate location)
* They were on Wifi and the device looked up the IP and found those
co-ordinates

Hope that answers your question,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter