Is there any documentation which I could read which describes the lifecycle
of site streams connections?
I can set them up and respond to what I receive but there are a few things I
am puzzled about.

What am I supposed to do with a "track limitation notice" in site streams? I
can't reduce the number of requests or back off as I can with a REST api?

If I want to change the parameters of my site stream connection do I start a
new connection and close my old one? How many simultaneous connections am I
allowed?
Do I start up a new connection with the new things I want (eg every 10
minutes), and then eventually (eg every hour/every day)  consolidate these
back into single site stream connections?

Feel free to say "rtfm" if you can also point to the specific part of the
manual I've missed :-)

Alex