Neither the 'before' case nor the 'now' case is correct.  You'll only
receive the 400 if none of the users specified have authorized your
application. You'll receive a friends list for each user who has authorized
your application. You can tell those who haven't by the absence of the
friends list.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Twitter, Inc.