Apart from implementing reCAPTCHA on tweet submission, follow, and
unfollow, I can't see what Twitter can do to prevent that kind of
abuse (can you imagine the revolt by bona fide users?). How else do
you determine that it is an actual human and not a piece of automated
software behind the browser on the user's desktop or laptop? The only
other option is legally, and that depends on the country of residence
of the owners of the software. At this point in time, it appears that
anyone who is able to and have the inclination to write desktop
software that bypasses the API might have carte blanche to do so.