Hi Dewald,

In fact you partly answered it yourself.

Random login CAPTCHA's when logging in to twitter, or the occasional
one if flagged based on users tweets to have once to fill one in to
send a tweet.

Algorithms, especially to to detect accounts that send 98%-100% links
in tweets.

Legal account, which I'm sure they are already doing.

Algorithms like pascal mentioned, to pick up on likely spam behaviour.

Improving the report spam feature on twitters website, and actively
encourage other users to report spam.

Stop the twitter accounts of the twitter spam software from being able
to run, i.e @tweettankone and their variant accounts which are site
hacking sites.

Education to users, that twitter should be used for engagement not to
spam links and churn followers.

Change up the site code fields that send tweets, or reliant data to
have 1000's of variants, so if the site changes too much, or something
the site hackers rely on, the information will change too frequently.

Those are a few of my ideas.

Alan :)