For posterity:

I think I have my answer...I just happened to stumble upon these:

statuses/friends
statuses/followers

The namespacing makes these calls not super-intuitive; they're
actually lists of users, not statuses - they just happen to include
the latest status from each user as part of their data.

Maybe this will help out some other poor lost soul out there
somewhere :)