I'm developing an application in which I want to allow users to
authenticate themselves with their twitter account. I need nothing
more back from the authentication API than an ID that identifies the
user; I don't want any access to any other account details or their
tweets etc. In other words, I don't want read access. Is this
possible?

It seems not, because the application registration page offers only
read or read/write. If this is the case, are there any plans to
support an "authenticate only" option for applications?

I did search this group for related threads but only found this post,
which had no replies:

http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/cb3056af2155afec/96a511f5675cdb32?lnk=gst&q=oauth+read+write#96a511f5675cdb32