Searching for "sign in with twitter" pointed me to:

http://dev.twitter.com/pages/sign_in_with_twitter

which I've already read. My understanding is that my application must
be registered to use OAuth, and that the access type it requires
(read/write) is determined by that registration. Doesn't this mean
that, at a minimum, the user will be informed that my application may
read their tweets and account details?

This won't be the case, and I don't want to give users that impression.

Tom.