Hi Doug,

We don't have a search result counting API available at this time. One
approach would be to prepare ahead of time and use the Streaming API's track
filter on the URL you're interested in, keeping the stream open and counting
tweets featuring your URL as it spreads on Twitter.
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api_methods#track

Taylor

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary - Twitter Developer
Advocate