There may be others on the IP address you are using abusing the system and
making you suffer as a result.

Do you get a HTTP status code 420 just for unfollow requests or is it for
all requests? Have you attempted to perform the operation in isolation from
your servers (not tied to your application business logic, perhaps using
command line tools or Curl, Twurl, etc.)?

Can you do the following:

1) Issue one of the API calls you're trying to make, taking note of the
exact API URL you're executing (tell me which it is)
   (may as well at this time verify that you're using the proper URL
structures, including api.twitter.com as the domain "/1/" prepending all
resource URLs to indicate the API version)
2) When/if you get the the error response, capture the exact HTTP status
code and the raw/exact HTTP body you get in response? (Not as interpreted by
any library you're using).

@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary