You are correct in your analysis of the problem. This is a limitation
of how Twitter built their API and there isn't something that does
what you want. You can see that even on twitter.com they don't show
you *everyone* you've ever had a DM conversation with.

One thing you can do is keep a cache for your users as they use the
app so while they won't have old conversations to start, as they have
new ones your app will remember.

@orian