Hi Tamara,

Just use placeholder data on dev.twitter.com/apps while registering your
application. You can use your @username as the name for your application or
something similar. For the callback URL -- this value is really just a
placeholder for all intents and purposes anyway, and so as long as you can
provide a valid URL there, you should be fine. With OAuth, you must specify
your callback URL explicitly on the request token step anyway.

After creating your application record, you can then use your API key and
secret to negotiate OAuth tokens and make calls from there. API methods that
don't require authentication also don't require that you use an API key to
access the resource, instead you could just simply explore the API using
curl or a simple HTTP library and move on from there.

Many beginners with OAuth find the tips on this page useful as well:
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/oauth_single_token

@episod <http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=episod> - Taylor
Singletary