I think this was addressed in the "A new permission level thread.

"> You said you were restricting this permission to the OAuth
/authorize web flow only. Will /oauth/authenticate  (Sign in with
Twitter) support the new permission?
The R/W/DM permission can only be granted through the /oauth/authorize
route. Sign in with Twitter cannot be used to grant R/W/DM.

We understand applications may use other methods of authentication
like Sign in with Twitter as well. For this reason, if a user has
authorised your application for R/W/DM and you direct them through
Sign in with Twitter, we will respect the existing access token
permission. This means you can use Sign in with Twitter after a user
has authorized your application for R/W/DM."