I'm trying to figure out if this is possible, and if so, what is the
proper way to use the API to achieve this.

I have a social networking site, where users post comments or news to
their micro-blog or wall. I would love to allow them to have to option
of having their posts tweeted automatically. ( I would 'crop' their
posts so they would fit and then include a link back to the full post,
I imagine. )

I imagine they would insert their username, but how could my site
authenticate them once so the site can officially send the tweet to
their Twitter status? Obviously I don't want to store their password,
or even ask them for it. So there must be another way of validating
them at first.

Any tips or pointers here? Thanks so much,
Mason