Matt! Thank you SO much for the reply... I will try and explain what else I
found out. A test example is:

<?php

    define( "CONSUMER_KEY","*********" );
    define( "CONSUMER_SECRET", "****************" );

    $oauth = new
OAuth(CONSUMER_KEY,CONSUMER_SECRET,OAUTH_SIG_METHOD_HMACSHA1);
    $access_token = file_get_contents("access_token");
    $access_token_secret = file_get_contents("access_token_secret");
    $oauth->setToken($access_token, $access_token_secret);

    $url = "http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/home_timeline.xml";;

    $oauth->fetch($url);
    $json = json_decode($oauth->getLastResponse(),true);
    print_r($json);

?>

Now, I tried this script and the same user (@Research4SML) from 3 different
servers. The results are:

CentOS, PHP 5.2.17, and Ubuntu, PHP 5.3.2:

> PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'OAuthException' with message 'Invalid
> auth/bad request (got a 400, expected HTTP/1.1 20X or a redirect)' in
> /var/www/vhosts/default/iresearch/Scholar/oauth/test.php:14
> Stack trace:
> #0 /var/www/vhosts/default/iresearch/Scholar/oauth/test.php(14):
> OAuth->fetch('http://api.twit...')
> #1 {main}
>   thrown in /var/www/vhosts/default/iresearch/Scholar/oauth/test.php on
> line 14
>

>From another CentOS machine, PHP 5.2.10, IT WORKS! (Of course I had to
generate new tokens for every server).
I did the "curl http://api.twitter.com/1/account/rate_limit_status.xml"; call
from all the servers and there is no rate limiting affecting the results. I
need it to work from the CentOS, PHP 5.2.17 machine.

What might be the reason behind this behavior and how can I fix it?

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Matt Harris <thematthar...@twitter.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A 400 error indicates something in the request you are making is
> malformed. Are you using a library to make requests or did you create your
> own wrapper?
>
> If you created your own library for making requests you may instead want to
> try one of the libraries listed on our developer resources site:
>     http://dev.twitter.com/pages/libraries
>
> Moving forward, to help identify the cause of the 400 could you share the
> the request header and URL you are sending and the API headers and response
> body returned. Remember to remove any OAuth secrets from the code you share.
>
> Best
> @themattharris<https://twitter.com/intent/follow?screen_name=themattharris>
> Developer Advocate, Twitter
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM, antiphobe <gundad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The time was in sync and I still used ntpd to reset it. No use.
>>
>> I tried to use the same script on different server, same user -> 400 error
>> (bad request)
>> Tried on new server, different user, same script -> it works!
>>
>> So I'm lead to believe something might be wrong with the twitter user a/c?
>> Is that known to happen?
>>
>> --
>> Twitter developer documentation and resources:
>> https://dev.twitter.com/doc
>> API updates via Twitter: https://twitter.com/twitterapi
>> Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
>> https://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list