Changing your application type has no effect on existing access tokens. If a
key has the xAuth permission granted to it, xAuth can be performed using the
API key regardless of the setting for application type. Applications set to
"desktop" cannot  dynamically present a oauth_callback on the request token
step (unless the value of oauth_callback is equal to "oob" for PIN-code
out-of-band OAuth), while apps set to "client" have the ability to
dynamically set an oauth_callback as they see fit. When saving an
application in "client" mode, one must provide a placeholder callback URL
even though it's a best practice (and valid OAuth) to set the oauth_callback
explicitly.

@episod <http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=episod> - Taylor
Singletary