Thanks all - I managed to get this fixed.

The main thing to remember is to build in some kind of delay between
successive API calls. In my case I made it 200ms with linear backoff on
retries. I know this is documented for the streaming api's - wasn't aware
that it also holds for the REST API.

Thanks Tom for your help - greatly appreciated! I'm getting the full 3200
tweets now. The thing to remember here is, include_rts doesn't default to
true, so if you don't set it, retweets are omitted, but still counted. This
is documented, I just didn't rtfm properly ...

Adriaan Pelzer

putting you in touch with your crowds
http://www.wewillraakyou.com
<http://www.wewillraakyou.com>twitter: http://www.twitter.com/adriaan_pelzer